In a recent development a senior Railway Ministry Official declared that the Indian Railways catering and Tourism Corporation i.e. IRCTC will not provide free travel insurance to its passengers. This no to free travel insurance would be starting from 1 September; 2018.Moving in this direction the option of free insurance will be optional”.
In order to get travel insurance from Indian railway the travelers has to book the train tickets from Indian Railway website or mobile application. While booking the train ticket the traveler would be getting two options;
- To opt-in of travel insurance.
- To opt-out of travel insurance.
Free Travel Insurance from IRCTC:
Indian railway was offering free travel insurance from December, 2017. This was done in order to promote the digital transaction at IRCTC.
Moving in the direction to promote digital transaction at IRCTC after December, 2017. IRCTC has waived off train ticket booking charges for travelers if they are making the payment via debit cards.
What was covered under free travel insurance by IRCTC?
Under the free travel insurance by IRCTC following things were offered.
- Indian railway was offering a maximum cover of Rs 10 Lakh in the case of person`s death during the journey.
- Indian railway was offering a maximum cover of Rs 7.5 Lakh in the case if the person is disable due to an accident during the journey.
- Indian railway was offering a maximum cover of Rs 2 Lakh in the case the person is injured.
- Rs 10,000/- of mortal remains.
The order to charge for the travel insurance will be generated in a few days.
However, the amount has not been disclosed yet.